06 June 2011

New House & Memorial Day Weekend

A week ago Friday, we became Indiana homeowners.  It feels really weird owning a house that I won't move into for another 3 weeks.  I'm so ready to move out of the cheaply made tract house that I'm living in now and into something bigger, and more well built.  The people we bought the house from were the only owners.  They built the house.  If you include the finished basement it's at least 800 sq ft bigger than what we live in now.  I'm so glad we decided to rent when we moved to Atlanta.  Very little in our neighborhood is selling but based on the house I live in, I can see why.  It's poor construction and the asking price of houses in our neighborhood are about the same as what we paid for our house in Indiana.  We my brother has lots of painting to do.  The majority of the house on the inside is original paint and probably hasn't been touched in the 13 yrs the house has been standing.  Plus it's just not our taste.  Also there are gold door handles and a few light fixtures that need to be changed out.  All in good time.  The painting is the big thing.  I'm hoping they can get it done before we move in.  My father & brother's home repair and remodel company has a lot of work currently lined up and since we get the family discount we aren't priority.  So we'll see.  But the kids love their new house.  They are looking forward to having a yard again.  They are looking forward to being 5 minutes from my parents and their pool.  They're looking forward to being near their cousins.  It's going to be an adjustment after spending the last 15 yrs moving but it'll be nice to be settled too.

We had a good time in Indiana last weekend.  My cousin had her confirmation into the Lutheran church and I got to see cousins I hadn't seen in awhile.  Including my cousin M and her daughter B who are moving from Angola to Laos.  She and her husband are teachers at international schools although I think she may have transitioned to SAHM.  They met in Latvia.  Moved to Angola and now are going to be on their way to Laos in August.  It's not very often that my dad and his 3 siblings are together but I think as they get older, they're trying to spend more time together.  It was a really nice time and the weekend went by way too fast.  I definitely didn't get to spend nearly the time I wanted to with family.  We were just so wrapped up in all the house stuff.  We ended up going out and buying a fridge just hours before we headed back to Atlanta.  Went back and forth on a French-door fridge and decided that the extra $300-$400 was not worth it so we got a side-by-side that was on sale and got an extra 10% military discount.  It was worth it.

The next couple weeks are going to be complete chaos.  I'm hoping to blog a few times this month but we'll see.  Lane's retirement ceremony is less than 3 weeks away.  The moving company comes 3 weeks from today to pack up all our worldly goods to move to Indiana.  I've got a million and 1 phone calls to make.  A garage sale to hold to get rid of the stuff we won't need in the new house.  Dr's appointments, etc.  Like I said - chaos.  I'm banking on not knowing if I'm coming or going in about 10 days.  This week alone is going to make me lose my mind.

With that being said, it's time to get to my list of stuff to do.  Enjoy the photos below!







1 comment:

  1. Hey, that's me! :) Anyone interested in following my story once it gets back off the ground, is welcome to it at mammaroundtheworld.blogspot.com! :)

    Hope the packing is coming along, and your move will be made before you know it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails